The Resource Conservation Unit representes two agencies within in the Colorado Department of Natural Resources: the Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), which regulates oil and gas operations throughout the state, and the Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety (DRMS), which regulates all prospecting, exploration, and mining (Hard Rock, Construction Materials, and Coal) operations throughout the state.
We advise these two agencies on a variety of natural resource development and reclamation related issues. The primary duties of the attorneys in the Resource Conservation Unit include:
- We represent the agencies' technical staff, or the Commission, in monthly administrative hearings.
- We defend decisions of the agencies in civil actions in Colorado state district and appellate courts.
- We initiate litigation on behalf of the agencies when necessary.
- We prosecute enforcement actions on behalf of the DRMS and COGCC enforcement staff in proceedings before the Mined Land Reclamation Board or the Oil and Gas Commission.
- We provide the agencies with general advice on a variety of legal matters.
- We assist the DRMS and COGCC with rulemaking.
- We review legislative bills affecting these agencies and advise the agencies on legal and policy issues.
- We provide daily legal advice regarding the DRMS and COGCC enabling statutes and implementing regulations.
- We assist the agencies in their legislative mandate to foster and encourage the responsible development of Colorado's natural resources in a manner consistent with the protection of public health, safety, and the environment.
If You Need Help
The Resource Conservation Unit provides legal services to the State, but cannot initiate action on behalf of the public. If you have a concern about an oil and gas operation or a mining operation, please contact the agencies listed above for assistance.