The Colorado Uniform Debt Management Services Act (DMSA) regulates companies that offer and provide debt management services to Colorado residents. It also provides consumer protections.
Under Colorado law, Debt Management Services Providers (Providers) include non-profit and for-profit Credit Counseling and Debt Settlement companies. Providers typically work with unsecured debt such as credit card debt.
The law also applies to law firms and attorneys unless the attorney is licensed to practice law in Colorado and is providing legal services in an attorney-client relationship.
- Contact Us
- Annual Report Data
- Registered Debt-Management Providers & Disciplinary History pdf
- Uniform Debt-Management Services Act pdf
- Debt-Management Rules pdf
To receive information about rulemaking, legislation, and public meetings, please send your request and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Consumers:
Information for Providers:
** Amendments to the Uniform Debt-Management Services Act effective July 1, 2011 **
- 2/4/2013 - Attorney General settles with Prestige Financial Solutions Over Consumer Abuses
- 12/20/2012 - Attorney General settles with Orion Financial over consumer abuses
- 5/30/2012 - Attorney General announces final order against Texas company and its president for unregistered debt management services
- 1/9/2012 - Attorney General announces consumer protection lawsuit against Westminster-based debt settlement company
- 1/9/2012 - Attorney General announces countersuit against business alleging violations of Colorado consumer-protection law
- 10/17/2011 - Attorney General announces judgment against individual behind Florida company engaged in unregistered debt management services
- 8/31/2011 - Attorney General announces lawsuit against Florida company engaged in unregistered debt management services
- 8/15/2011 - Attorney General announces judgment against Florida company engaged in unregistered debt management services
- 6/14/2011 - Attorney General announces lawsuit against a Florida company engaged in unregistered debt management services
- 4/28/2011 - Attorney General announces lawsuit against Orlando law firm engaged in unlawful debt management practices
- 9/24/2010 - Attorney General rolls out annual data showing more Coloradans using debt management services for longer periods
- 10/15/2009 - Attorney General unveils first annual report on debt settlement, credit counseling business practices
- 3/12/2009 - Eleven companies settle with the state under new debt-management & credit counseling regulations