Civil Rights & Employment

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)

Intake Department
400 Corona Street
Denver, CO 80218
Phone: (303) 777-5482
Fax: (303) 777-1773

The ACLU of Colorado does not review requests for legal assistance in person or over the telephone. To ask the ACLU for legal assistance, you must write a letter to the address listed above. Generally, the ACLU takes cases involving basic civil liberties such as the right to due process and equal protection of the law, as well as freedom of expression; freedom of the press; religious freedom; the right of association; the right of privacy; the right to be free of unreasonable searches and seizures, and the right to be free of cruel and unusual punishment.

back to topics | top of page

Civil Rights (see also discrimination)

Colorado Civil Rights Division
1560 Broadway, Suite 1050
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-2997
Fax: (303) 894-7830

The Colorado Civil Rights Commission is the state agency established to administer and enforce Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws in employment, housing and public accommodations. Colorado law prohibits such discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religion, disability (mental and physical), familial status (housing only), marital status (housing and public accommodations only), marriage to a co-worker (employment only), and age (employment only).

From the date of the last occurrence of the discriminatory act, there is a requirement under the law that you file your discrimination claim within specific periods of time, depending on the type of discrimination you are alleging:

  • Employment – 6 months;
  • Housing – 1 year; or
  • Public Accommodations – 60 days.

The process for filing a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission begins with a phone call to the agency. A civil rights investigator will talk with you and will ask enough questions to determine whether the problem falls within the agency’s jurisdiction. If so, the investigator will set up an intake appointment at the nearest branch office (Denver, Pueblo or Grand Junction).

There is no charge for filing a complaint, nor is the presence of an attorney required.

The Colorado Civil Rights Division cannot handle:

  • federal employees filing against a federal employer;
  • police and sheriff misconduct;
  • judicial or court matters;
  • prisoners' rights; and
  • labor relations issues, such as wage and hour matters, workers' compensation, or non-payment of wages

Here are some important federal contacts if you feel you have been discriminated against in your employment or housing:

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Denver Field Office
303 E. 17th Avenue, Suite 510
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: (303) 866-1300/1301 or 1-800-669-4000
TTY: (303) 866-1950 or 1-800-669-6820
Fax: (303) 866-1085 

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Denver Regional Office
1670 Broadway, 23rd Floor
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 672-5440
TTY: (303) 672-5022
Fax: (303) 672-5004

back to topics | top of page


Colorado Civil Rights Commission
1560 Broadway, Suite 1050
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-2997
Phone Toll Free: (800) 262-4845
Fax: (303) 894-7830

This agency handles discrimination problems related to employment, housing and public accommodations. See “Civil Rights” in this Reference Guide.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
303 E. 17th Avenue, Suite 510
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: (303) 866-1300
National Office Phone: (800) 669-4000
Fax: (303) 866-1085

This agency handles complaints regarding discrimination in the workplace.

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
ACLU of Colorado
400 Corona Street
Denver, CO 80218
Phone: (303) 777-5482
Fax: (303) 777-1773

This organization deals with civil liberty issues, or anything that falls under the Constitution or Bill of Rights. See “American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)” in this Reference Guide.

back to topics | top of page



Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
633 17th Street, 2nd Floor
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 318-8000
Fax: (303) 318-8048
Fax (Worker’s Compensation): (303) 318-8710 

Call this agency for questions regarding wage claims, unemployment insurance, and worker's compensation. The agency will generally only handle complaints involving large numbers of people. A full list of the specific divisions and contact numbers for this Department is at

U.S. Department of Labor
Frances Perkins Building
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20210
Phone: 1-866-4-USA-DOL 

back to topics | top of page

Lawyer Referral Services

Here are some resources that may help you locate an attorney:

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
400 Corona Street
Denver, CO 80218
Phone: (303) 777-5482
Fax: (303) 777- 1773 

The ACLU handles cases in which a person's civil liberties have been violated or are at risk. Cases must be presented in writing to the ACLU for consideration.

Colorado Legal Services
1905 Sherman Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: (303) 837-1313
Fax: (303) 830-7860 

Colorado Legal Services helps people within certain income guidelines. This organization does not handle any criminal or traffic matters. It assists with civil matters such as family law, bankruptcy, public benefit, landlord/tenant, and senior citizen issues. Consumers who are low-income or are without income may qualify for assistance from Legal Services and should call for income guidelines. Colorado Legal Services can prepare for a permanent restraining order (“PRO”) or temporary restraining order (“TRO”) hearing if there is adequate time. If a call is placed by Wednesday, an appointment can usually be made for the following week. Interviews are on Monday afternoons and Tuesday mornings. It is extremely important to bring all court documents, police reports, and the TRO/PRO papers to the interview.

For contact information on Colorado Legal Services’ Offices across Colorado, visit their Web site at

Legal Aid and Defender Program
University of Colorado School of Law
404 UCB Wolf Law Building
Boulder, CO 80309-0404
Phone: (303) 492-2638 (Criminal Law Clinic)
Phone: (303) 492-6602 (Family Law & Disability Law Clinic)

This is a clinical program managed by the University of Colorado Law School. Each case is assigned to a second or third year law student and supervised by a staff attorney. This program is only able to accept new cases from low-income clients and only during the months of January, February, September, and October.

Legal Night at the Center
Centro Bienestar San Jose
623 Fox Street
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: (720) 904-2099
Hours: 5:30 PM – 8:00 PM, Third Tuesday of Each Month

Several metro area bar associations offer assistance in the areas of immigration, labor/employment, and family and landlord-tenant/housing. Spanish speaking lawyers and English speaking translators are available.

Metropolitan Lawyer Referral Service
899 Logan Street, Suite 110
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: (303) 831-8000
Fax: (303) 831-0905
Phone (Fort Collins): (970) 226-2455

If consumers have no way of selecting an attorney, this may be a viable alternative. This organization refers people to lawyers in their area who handle their type of problem. Cost is reduced for the first visit.

Metro Volunteer Lawyers
1905 Sherman Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: (303) 830-8210
Fax: (303) 837-0019

This program is operated and funded primarily by the Denver Bar Association with assistance from the Adams/Broomfield Bar Association, the Arapahoe County Bar Association, the Douglas/Elbert Bar Association, and the First District Bar Association (lawyers practicing in Jefferson and Gilpin counties).

Colorado State LAD Coordinator
The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older People
455 Sherman Street Suite 130
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: (303) 722-0300
Phone: 1-800-288-1376
Fax: (303) 722-0720

322 N. 8th Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501-3406
Fax: (970) 241-5324

back to topics | top of page





Wage Claims

Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
633 17th Street, 2nd Floor
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 318-8000
Fax: (303) 318-9037

The Division of Labor will assist in the recovery of earned compensation. The Division of Labor does not have the legal authority to order the payment of wages. For more information on wage claims, visit . The Division can help mediate the following issues:

  • Non-payment of wages for work performed
  • Non-payment of overtime
  • Non-payment of vacation earned in accordance with an employer’s policy
  • Minimum wage violations
  • Unauthorized deductions from paycheck
  • Tips or gratuities
  • Uniform policies
  • Delayed or missing paydays
  • Timekeeping or pay irregularities
  • Dishonored (bounced) paycheck

The Division has no authority over the following:

  • Pay disputes involving independent contractors (if unsure of employee or contractor status, contact the Division)
  • Government or school district employees
  • Work performed exclusively outside the State of Colorado
  • Pay disputes where the employer has filed for bankruptcy or was seized by a creditor
  • Health or life insurance plans or coverage
  • Pension or savings disputes
  • Tax matters
  • Interview, selection, promotion, or termination disputes
  • Performance evaluations
  • Allegations of harassment or abusive treatment
  • Complaints of discrimination or unequal treatment
  • Expense reimbursements
  • Dress codes, smoking, drug, or alcohol policies
  • Recovery of bounced check fees or charges
  • Access to personnel or medical records

back to topics | top of page


Find Colorado State Attorney General on TwitterFind Colorado State Attorney General on FacebookColorado State Attorney General RSS feed